I am going to a wedding this weekend in Ohio. I have known about this for some time. I have shopped my closet as well as many stores in search of the perfect dress. I finally decided to try renting a gorgeous dress I found on a great website called Rent the Runway.
Big surprise... I waited too long to rent and now the size I need is gone for the dates I need the dress. I went on an emergency run to TJ Maxx and found another option. (As a sidenote it is supposed to be high 80's on Sunday so that was a factor when looking for a dress.) I chose 2 different options to try on. To be honest, I knew before I ever stepped foot in the fitting room which dress would be the best choice but I went in with 2 anyway. Here were the 2 picks
After trying both dresses on I chose....
the Calvin Klein. Again, I knew before I went in this would be the best choice for me, my style, and the occasion. Here's why:
- The fit. I have a curvy more pear shape and the full skirt along with inverted pleats is flattering for my body type. It is a fit and flare style and the pleats and darts are placed perfectly.
- The color. This shade of pink actually takes away from my paleness a bit... no...really.
- The fabric. It's that scuba-like material. But good scuba :) and it's fully lined.
- The details. Again, the pleating and darts are placed perfectly. The length is perfect, regardless of the season. The lining - a scuba dress is much better for my figure type if it has a lining. Last but not least, it has pockets!
- The versatility. This dress lends itself to lots of wear in almost all seasons. Sleeveless now, with perhaps a cardigan or pashmina of sort for a cool evening. Layer with a jean jacket for a cooler evening or a fall day. Add tights and short boots for fall with a jacket layered - how cute. Dare I say you could even put a button down underneath with boots and tights for fall ...yours to decide. By changing the shoes and the jewelry I am already thinking of a ton of different options with this one piece. LOVE.
- The price - you know it's TJ Maxx - $39.99. It is still available on the Calvin Klein website and it's on hysale :) http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/ck/18806610
What's wrong with the other dress? For me, it wasn't right. The print washed me out - a lot. The print and silhouette made the options fewer. As much as I wanted it to work it just didn't. Still a cute dress. I think it would be great on someone taller and more slender than me. Here is one similar http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/vince-camuto-sleeveless-floral-print-sheath-dress?ID=2677913&CategoryID=59981#fn=DEPARTMENT_TYPE%3DDresses%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D73%26ruleId%3D9|BS|BA%26slotId%3D32%26rdppSegmentId%3DCONTROL
I am excited for the wedding and here is how I will style the dress for this event. I will be posting again when I wear it in the future a different way.