As we near the change of seasons here in Michigan it's a great time to take a look at the "basics" that every woman should have in her wardrobe. I know there are a million lists out there from top 10's to even your top 100 but I've narrowed it down to the Lucky 7.
Here they are in no particular order: (except for number 1 and number 1 is MUST)
1) A great fitting bra - Every woman needs a properly fitted bra and the right size and proper fit in all undergarments. PLEASE, if you have never done a bra fitting with a professional, or it's been awhile, you owe it yourself to do this. You may have a great local women's lingerie store that provides bra fitting for you. If not, I think the Soma stores do a great job with this.
2) A long-sleeve white blouse - similar to a great pair of jeans, a white blouse is something you should be willing to spend a little more money on in order to get quality. For ease of wear and your time, the blouse should also be wrinkle-resistant. Eddie Bauer, JCrew, Banana Republic, Gap - these are all great places to find just the right style and cut.
3) A pair of jeans you love and feel great wearing - if you don't wear jeans - then this could be whatever you favorite basic bottom piece is. (but really, are you sure you don't want to try?) Again, this is something you may need to spend more cash on than you normally do for other things in your wardrobe. (see my mom jeans post for more details )
4) A simple black skirt - whether a pencil skirt or maybe an A-line, a black skirt is a necessary in the 7. Black skirts can be paired with a tshirt for a more casual look or a white blouse and the right accessories to dress it up. It's another staple you will wear forever.
5) LBD - (LIttle Black Dress - but then you probably knew that) - this is a seasonless, timeless wardrobe must have. Similar to jeans, find the style and cut that is best for you - it will be a "go to" piece in your forever closet.
6) A good quality cardigan - A cardigan sweater is another timeless piece of the lucky 7. It can easily be worn in place of a jacket and if a neutral color such as black or camel is chosen, can be worn with almost anything.
7) Great fitting - Good quality layering pieces - this includes camis, tanks, long-sleeve tshirts, and short-sleeve tshirts. For the best fit and wear, choose a t-shirt with a blend of cotton and just a little stretch (spandex). Think wear with anything neutral colors such as black, white, cream, and navy. I always have black and white of both in my closet.
So, if you have the Lucky 7 in your closet already it's to check them to be sure they are ready for another season. Check whites to be sure they are sparkling white, even under the arms (yes, I went there). Check the blacks - are they still true black or have they turned a lovely off-black shade? Are your knits all free from those annoying pills? You know what I am asking. If you need to update on your basics or fill your Lucky 7 it's time to go shopping! Some of my favs for basics: Gap, Banana Republic, Eddie Bauer, and Nordstrom. Since these are basics you can probably shop just as easy online as well as in the store. Either way, have fun!