We are in the middle of a huge closet reorganization over here at the Your Closet Your Style Headquarters (i.e., my house), including the Mr. yourclosetyourstyle, by the way. From time to time I like to do what I call a "Closet Tryout". I choose something that has been in my closet for quite some time and isn't being worn. It has to be something I'm not sure of whether to keep or let it go. The top featured in this "tryout" I have had for a few years but I think I've worn it maybe 3 times. I will be up front immediately and tell you, I am not a fan of off shoulder or the "cold shoulder" business, at all. That's not to say I don't suggest the style to clients, but for me, it's not a style that I like to own much. Anyway, Monday was set to be a beautiful, but albeit cool day temp wise so it was the perfect day to give this particular top another try. Let's take a look at the outfit first and then we will talk :)
The top I purchased from White House Black Market a few years ago. Though it's not available anymore I am giving you some links to a few similar in the "shopping" section below. The jeans, are my white jeans which, by now, if you follow me you may be sick of hearing about. They, too, will be linked below as they are still available. I digress, once again....back to the top.
Why I like it:
- The colors. You can never go wrong with black and white. A classic combo.
- The print. Horizontal stripes CAN work - especially in a pinstripe pattern.
- The material. There is some stretch to this top which makes it not only fit well, but also hold it's shape and maintain the "newness" IF you care for it well.
- The silhouette of the top itself. The "fold-over" fabric section at the shoulder as well as the fitted section at the waist is figure flattering. If you are more of a pear shape (which I am) a silhouette like this offsets your hips and defines your waist.
Why I don't wear it:
- I. Don't. Know. I really liked this look when I gave it another try.
Sometimes when I do a "tryout" the item doesn't make it. If it doesn't I take it to consignment or find it a good home elsewhere immediately so it doesn't continue to take up a hanger in my closet. Other times, like this one, it gets a reprieve! Essentially I get a "new" top!
I wonder, what's lurking in your closet you never wear but you just can't seem to let go of??? Do a "Closet Tryout". Give it a fair chance. Pair it up with something you love and wear it for a day. Fully accessorize, for your style, as if it's something you wear all the time. Leave the house! See how you feel. If, at the end of the day, you have fallen in love with it again, put it back in rotation. If not, find it a new home immediately! Need help? I would love to assist, contact me or leave me a message in the comments section below!
Shop the look