It's Sale Time !
I can't believe it's July 1st already! It's time for summer to really kick in with fireworks, picnics, trips to the beach and one of my favs...SALES! July is known as a sale month. Just as the weather is finally cooperating, retailers tend to "rush" the season a bit with most of the summer clothing on sale (of course not all, but most). Soon, you will begin to see pre-fall styles hit the stores and online. Many retailers have huge events this month such as Amazon with Amazon Prime Day, Nordstrom Anniversary Sale begins later this month, even QVC has Christmas in July right now.
Before you set out to take advantage of the great deals I encourage you to do a little planning. I don't think you need a spreadsheet or anything but I do suggest you take inventory of your closet first. There are some key items you should look at buying, replacing, restocking now. Here are some of my suggestions:
- This is a great time to restock on basics. Take a look at your tshirts, camis, tanks, white blouse(s). If there is yellowing, stains, pills, etc it's time to ditch the old and replace with new.
- Think of next year. If you are a mom you have probably done this for your kid's wardrobe before but it's not a bad idea to do it for you. For example, Loft is having a huge sale this weekend. If you love Loft shorts (like I do) buy a pair or two now and save for next year...you will thank me next spring.
- Summer footwear. Listen, I know shoes (it seems like especially the cute ones) are expensive. When you find a pair you love and you know you will wear out, now is the time to buy a back up pair and put away.
- Fall/Winter. I know I know - if you live in West Michigan you don't want to talk about it. But here's a tip - many off price retailers ( think Nordstrom Rack) put out some fall/winter goods in their sale area right now. Last summer I picked up a gorgeous sweater and paid less than $20 bucks for it.
- Go consignment! 2 of my favorite Consignment Shops here in West Michigan are having awesome sales this weekend on summer merchandise. Urban Exchange and The Conscious Collective are offering a percentage off on all clothing - WOW! That's like a double sale !!
- Now is a great time to buy a new handbag as well. Oh, who am I kidding? I think anytime is a great time to buy a handbag.
A couple of things I would hold off on buying right now...jeans. Unless they are a style on sale I would wait. The best time to catch your favorite jeans on sale is August/September as part of the Back to School rush. The same goes for a new "tote" bag or "work bag" which is also considered part of the Back to School Sale madness. Patience. The sale will come. Exceptions to the denim rule would again be the more lightweight styles you see on markdown right now...some of them are offered at a great price! Just try to hold back on paying full price for denim now.
My last advice on sale ...don't buy just because it's offered at a great price. If you aren't going to wear it you shouldn't buy it. Wait for the stuff you will wear. If it doesn't fit well (and alterations are either too pricey or won't fix it) don't buy it. Take a long look thru your closet and take note of what you really need - make a list. P.S. now is also a great time to pull spring/summer clothing you aren't going to wear and consign now while your favorite shop is still accepting current season goods.
Need help with your closet? Contact me directly and let's chat about how I can help you. Have fun! Shop Wisely!